You Want To Build Resilience
Dr. Ann Masten from University of Minnesota defines resilience as the capacity of a system to adapt successfully to challenges that threaten system function, survival, or development! During these current times this definition is truly coming to realization. As our way of life has currently changed and will forever be changed due to the COVID-19 Pandemic many of you are asking what will happen in the future. Historically during moments like these there will come a tremendous amount of growth. This growth is called Post Traumatic Growth or PTG!
These three questions should be asked and answered in your home:
- What are the challenges that we are facing?
- How am I or the person doing?
- What protections do I have in place to lead to success?
I am going to focus on the second and third question…How am I or the person doing? These factors include Mental Health, Wellness, School or Work Achievement and overall Happiness. Addressing these factors in our home is crucial in order to begin to move forward. The first steps are sitting with the family to get a pulse on each person’s understanding and offering solutions based on the question…What protections do we have in place to lead to our specific success?
Building these factors can happen with these 4 science backed strategies. Once you understand these factors then it is easier actually build around them. Since the some of the factors are fixed and unchangeable doesn’t mean that you can’t use these strategies.
- Having one close, positive relationship with a warm responsive adult. If you are a parent then the best way for your child is by having an Authoritative Parenting Style!
- Learning and teaching coping skills like, Problem Solving, Realistic Planning, Volunteering, Exercise/Physical Fitness.
- Working toward a Healthy and Stable Environment. Seeking help for any marital, school or mental health issues is the best way to improve the environment.
- Exposure to Stress at a manageable level. Positive stress promotes growth and introducing this to our lives is crucial if we are looking to achieve Post Traumatic Growth from the crisis that will come our way!
If you are needing a consultation please don’t hesitate to reach out to robert@elitemindsllc and become part of the Mindset of a Champion Family!